The Bunk Bed - Part 3 (the end!)

{ Find Part 1 of this Ikea Mydal bunk bed project here. Find Part 2 here. }

Now we can get to the fun part. The bedding. If you had me asked me as a girl growing up in Alaska if I'd have thought I'd be consumed by making custom bedding on boats, studios, closets, and bunk beds, I'd have.... well, I'd have been intrigued, that's what. 

Bedding. The mattress I used for the bottom bunk is the twin mattress I purchased at Ikea and used for our family's floor couch in the San Diego house. The upper bunk's mattress is the longest portion of the mattress I made for the girls' closet/floor beds. (Closet bed 1, Closet bed 2, Floor beds). That's why it is shorter than a traditional mattress, but unbelievably (there have been a lot of 'unbelievably-s' with this project), the headboards I also made for that project rounded out the length of the top mattress, perfectly. 

Before we left San Diego I grabbed another twin-sized waterproof mattress cover from Ikea so that I had extras all around for both mattresses.

Each girl got one of the custom starfish head boards from their San Diego house floor bed. Here you see C's on the top bunk and Lyra's on the bottom bunk. Lyra also wanted space for books in her bunk, so I added those wooden boxes for her board books and other treasures.

Are those unicorn pillowcases you are asking yourself? Why yes, they are. But before I go crowing about unicorn fabric, let me tell you about the new sheets. Like in the San Diego house, I wanted to have two sets of sheets, because you never know when you'll need to quickly change them. This is real life after all.

With the help of a 50% off sale and a gift card to Macy's, the girls and I picked out two sets of Martha Stewart's children's line sheets. One set had pink flamingos, the other, tiny aqua dots. I had to custom fit the fitted sheets to fit Lyra's Ikea futon mattress and I turned the flat sheets that came in the sets into fitted sheets for C's mattress.

I cut up the pillowcase that came with each set and used the fabric for the backing of the unicorn pillowcases for the girls. This fabric is from Sarah Jane's 'Magic' line. It's Unicorn Parade Double Border in Mint Metallic. We have one pillow case backed in pink flamingos and one in mint aqua dots.

Are you in love with all of this yet? I AM!! I always had pretty sweet bedroom set ups as a girl, and I still wish this could have been mine as a kid!

Now, for the pièce de résistance, the privacy curtain I made for Lyra's lower bunk. Because the girls will share a room the entire time we live in this house (there are no bedrooms to spare), I really wanted to create spaces with their bunks that were similar to berths on a boat. Little nooks that are completely their own. 

Over the course of this blog (and our time living here), you can watch  me add more to each bunk, as they grow, and to meet their needs and desires.

For now, let me show you this. Eric and I added two square pieces of wood to either end of the top of Lyra's bunk. I painted them white and then we added a tension rod. Next up, the fabric.

The fabric for the privacy curtains is all from Sarah Jane's 'Magic' line. I'm a sucker for Sarah Jane fabric. When you see the mermaid decals on the walls in their bunks, they are from Sarah Jane's 'Out to Sea' line, and were a gift from our friend John. John, we brought them with us to Mammoth. Thank you!

I used Magic Parade Double Border in White Metallic and Lucky Stars in White Metallic to make the panels. I wanted these to be double sided so Lyra could enjoy the beauty of the fabric both in and out of her bed.

For the outward-facing panels, I put the stars on top and the Magic Parade on the lower portion. For the inward-facing panels, I put stars on both the top and bottom of the panels, effectively bumping up the Magic Parade just above the 4" width of her mattress. This way, Lyra could see all the little children in the parade from inside her bunk too.

Outward-facing panels:

Inward-facing panels. See how I raised the parade fabric up by a few inches by putting the star fabric beneath? I kept the selvage edge fabric information to create curiosity in Lyra about letters and words. I hope one day she'll have those words memorized.

There is a layer of batting between the panels for form and so the fabric wouldn't show through on either side. I sewed button holes along the top of the panels and used clear shower curtain rings to hang the panels. I even found RV sized (mini) curtain wands on Amazon for the girls to open the fabric panels (to keep dirty hands from getting the white fabric soiled. They LOVE the wands.)

I'm really proud of how this project turned out. I had a vision, and I made it happen. I have more plans for this part of the girls' room. I want to create privacy panels for C too, and all kinds of built-ins, but all in good time. For now, I'll enjoy their appreciation.

The bunk bed project for now is officially DONE. Thanks for tuning in to watch it unfold. My parting photos highlight first the pink flamingo bed sheets and then the aqua dots. Enjoy!

Find Part 1 of this Ikea Mydal bunk bed project here. Find Part 2 here.